Thursday, October 20, 2011

Catching Up...a fast two weeks! October 16, 2011

Forgive me father...but it has been two weeks since my last blog...in that time I have- traveled to France, toured a chocolate factory, visited the medieval village of Gruyeres Switzerland, suffered through the worst cold I have had in years, was a 'parent' during parents' weekend of Swiss Semester, did a psychotic 6+ mile downhill run from the top of the ski runs back into town, watched my wife and kids do a high ropes course with the rest of the students that left me in awe and then capped it off with a 'gorging' course that the entire family had the chance to do together that was scary, challenging and exhilarating.  Along the way, I took over 500 pictures.  I won't bore you with all of them!

The road to Annecy France- October 7-9... Day 1 Lausanne and Montreux Switzerland


I love France.  It may just be me, but there is a pace...a sense...a state of mind about France that I love.  Annecy is not that far from the Swiss/France border.  In fact, aside from large toll booth you have to pass through, its difficult to know you actually cross the border.  Road signs begin to change in appearance.  But the language is essentially the same.  Switzerland is one of the countries in Europe that speak a variety of languages...all based on the geographic locations.  Near France, French is the predominant language.  Swiss/German dominates the majority of the country and true German (German/German) is spoken in the regions near Austria and Germany.  Swiss/German is spoken most often here in Zermatt.  **Since I have deviated off my initial topic...some language nuggets for you to chew on- In Zermatt, on any given day, we hear German, Swiss German, Italian, French, Spanish and Portuguese.  The locals seem to be able to speak most of the above**

We came to Annecy as a school for a number of reasons.  Our trip to Annecy took us first to Montreux, Switzerland and the Chateau de Chillon.  We took a guided tour through this breathtaking castle and then had some time to wander various parts of it on our own.  It is obvious from the first step inside the castle that the Swiss are very proud of this large piece of history.  Every effort is made to preserve it in its original state.
 Chateau de Chillon


Believe it...coat and tie on all trips!!

The students in Swiss Semester...and Emme...read Frankenstein as well as the Prisoner of Chillon.  Spending time touring the castle proved to be the perfect way to bring the readings to life for the students.  It was fun to listen to the students talk about the readings and castle in the same context.  It was also impressive listening to them interact with the tour guides in ways they are probably not used to...actually having teenagers listen and answer their questions correctly.   

After the awesome tour at the castle, the students boarded the bus for the short ride to Lausanne Switzerland with two completely different venues as our destinations.  The Cathedral of Lausanne was the first and easily the most awe-inspiring.  This monstrous cathedral was easily the size of a football field and featured architecture that is still studied today.  According to the link provided, the church has yet to be fully finished.  It looked complete to me.
 The church was almost too big to take one photo that captured the enormity of the place

SS students taking notes and studying in the Cathedral of Lausanne 

Good looking group of kids...especially that one on the right...he needs a haircut!

From the Cathedral, we walked through the streets of Lausanne to the headquarters of the International Olympic Committee.  This facility serves as a monument to the great olympic athletes from around the world since the games began.  It also serves as an education center as well as a meeting space for dignitaries from around the world.  There are amazing pieces of artwork on display there too, depicting athletes engaged in their sport.  This place also holds a special place in my heart.  Documents and logs of every athlete, coach and team representative from every sport and every country are stored there.  My grandfather served as the manager/coach of the 1962 olympic speed skating team that competed in Squaw Valley California.  Its a piece of his history that I know little about.  I was close to my grandfather.  He taught me how to drive, took me fishing, watched some of my baseball games.  But unfortunately, some of my memories of him are not good.  He died in a nursing home with me standing by his side.  He was sick and recognized few people other than his wife and my grandmother.  I think he knew who I was...as least his smile told me he did.  I think about him a lot.  And I wonder about him a lot.  I know that he was not always a healthy man...physically or mentally.  But I wanted to have something in my hand that said this man was good and did good things.  I feel like I got it...a very kind young intern who spoke some English but relied on French saw my desperation in finding his name and verifying this story of him.  We continued to walk around the library looking for any publication that may have his name.  Soon, we were greeted again by this intern.  The smile on his face and the paper in his hands said he had found success.  He was able to find and print off a complete roster of the US speed skating for that year.  And located at the top, along with other non-skaters, was my grandfather.  Albert Zirkel- coach/manager.  I could not have been prouder.  And I could not have been more touched that this man did this for us.  I am excited to get that documentation to my mother.  I hope she is as touched by it as I am.  

Day 2 and 3 will follow tomorrow.  Those days will need their own blog...suffice it to say....the Alpenage was a spectacular event.  And I have videos to prove it!!  I would still love to hear comments about the blog...from everyone.  

1 comment:

  1. So cool about Grandpa! Glad you were able to see it and share it with Mom.

    ReplyDelete