Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day 5- September 14, 2011

Dad and Daughter...and quite a view

As I mentioned yesterday...or some day ago...the afternoons at Swiss Semester are spent outside.  Based on how the students are grouped, kids may find themselves on a long hike, a short hike, a rock climbing experience or a geology lesson.  I have done both a long and short hike.  There is no real difference.  They involve going either up or down and multiple combinations of both.  Today...I became the student.  Geology was never 'my' science.  I was a biology major in college.  I like and liked things that were alive, moved, breathed and sometimes, even talked.  Up until today, I believed geology had none of that.  
That's DJ on the right...a stray girl on the left

The geology unit that we worked on today was a simple review of maps and compasses.  They are simple if you know how to use both or if you made Eagle Scout and demonstrating mastery of such technique gave you the highly sought after map badge.  I was not allowed to do scouts growing up for reasons that won't be listed here.  Suffice it to say, I missed the discussion on contour lines, geographical features, coordinates, etc.  Its one thing to have this lesson taught at, say, Palmer Park.  Its something completely different if the lesson is taught in the middle of one of the most famous and breath-taking geological formations in the world.  That was our classroom today.  
Not sure D-11 Risk Management would be keen to where the kids are standing!

Today's lesson became a great review about contour lines and the fact that the closer the contour lines are together, the steeper the terrain....that nugget of information would have come in handy yesterday!  We also worked with compasses...using true North as the starting point to provide scale and directional information on the surrounding peaks.  This was a cool activity.  It was fun being the student and funner yet to interact with all these kids who were learning this for the first time.  I can't imagine that using contour maps is a part of the curriculum map in Dallas or Kansas City.  The lesson that these two young teachers put together for the students served as a "shot up both sides of my head".  How cool is it that we can get kids outside and actually apply what they have learned...practice and apply their new skill?  But we also know that the reality of public education today does not always allow us to do that.  We as educators have got to find a way to make the "foggy...clear".  We have got to find ways to make even the most trivial lesson important and have an impact.  My reality used to be...who cares what a contour line is?  But now that I have spent time outside, playing with the maps and compass and applying what I learned in class, I am excited to go back out for more.  Its all about...ENGAGEMENT!
The lonely goat-herder and his flock

Kids spread out all over the hillside...notice the glacier in the background
Thanks to my dear friend Heather D for her lessons on blogging and use of video!
Lunchtime guests...
The amazing...and shrinking glacier

4 comments:

  1. Scott-What a cool way to spend the afternoon. Why can't we teach hands on mapping? My son when he was at UCCS, did a great class using GPS at Palmer Park. I'm sure there is some contour maps of Palmer Park that we could use to have a really fun field trip. Maybe take half one day, half another. Make it a interdiscipline with Soc. St. and science.
    Kammi

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mapping and orienteering skills began at a very young age....6 or 7 I'm sure, as my father was a forester. However, it was the Army that really taught me about maps and terrain features. No promotion to sergeant without success on an the orienteering course. Back azimuths and everything!

    You may not know this.....but I find goats incredibly fun. I know their stupid....but they sure are cute while they do it.

    ReplyDelete