Saturday, September 10, 2011

Day 1- September 10, 2011

 A group photo of all the students
Emme and the Matterhorn behind her...not sure which is more beautiful 
 Our town down below...the little hamlet of Zermatt
Our Christmas photo...please print it off so that we don't have to send it to you...:-)

I suppose this was/is officially day 1 in Switzerland though we arrived yesterday...in time to get something to eat, listen to some expectations from the headmaster (the principal), wander into town a bit and wait for our luggage to make the trip up the pass.  Ah yes...the luggage.  A funny story I suppose.  Seems the Swiss police are very anal about over-loading trucks with cargo.  50 of us provided luggage...roughly a 125 lbs per person.  The van carrying the luggage was well over double the legal limit.  Suffice it to say it did not arrive when we did.

The students and faculty spent the majority of the day simply getting their bearings.  Zermatt is a difficult place to describe.  Beautiful...yes.  Remote...yes.  Primative....no.  It is a long way from anywhere which makes it all the more reason the rich and famous like to come here.  I am neither rich or famous...I am eternally indebted to this school for the opportunity for me and my family.  They have a Migros which is the small town's version of Walmart though much more expensive and a lot less tattoos, wife-beater shirts and many more teeth.  One of the first things the kids had to do was head into town to find their school supplies...an "Amazing Race" adventure.  They were given some money and given an 'atta boy' pat on the back and sent on their way.  We wandered around with the kids to make sure they stayed out of trouble and were being respectful to the locals.  Neither was an issue.

Back at the dining hall....I may need to learn to like peas.  Split pea soup and some mix vegetables where peas figured into it prominently...I was starving.  No choice.

This morning we again met for breakfast, a group meeting and to review some expectations with the kids.  After that we boarded a series of gondolas to get near the Matterhorn.  At the top we were able to see Italy, France and Switzerland.  Sorry...but this is better than being in four states at the Four Corners National Monument.  What an amazing view from up here.  We are supposed to head back up tomorrow...gloves and a hat will make the journey with me.

I do have to say that I mentally checked out of 'work' for the day...though I found myself being principal with this group more than once.  I felt like I was herding cats at times.  They are an amazing group of kids though...that includes my own two who are apart of the activities.  They all are engaging, curious, self advocates, motivated, and somewhat competitive.  I think this is going to be a great three months!

4 comments:

  1. Haven't you heard....according to Obama, we should all be eating our peas and carrots. Time to man up and consume your veggies! I LOVE split pea with ham soup. I'm sorry I missed it.

    Also.....I would venture that ANY OTHER MONUMENT in the world would be more interesting and/or beautiful than Four Corners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peas are the predominant vegetable in England, too.

    It looks gorgeous, though the Matterhorn has nothing on lovely Emme. Is it very dry there or is the terrain all above treeline?

    I've printed out your "Christmas" card and put it on my refrigerator. It's the first one of the season and has come the greatest distance.

    Thanks for allowing me to live this adventure vicariously--with nary an algebraic equation to solve or an research paper to write. Hugs to the family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and beautiful pictures. Mike and I are dreaming of our foreign adventure. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scottie-I look forward to reading more! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete